Saturday 9 March 2013

Fuzzy feelings, music lies.

Isn't it odd how a song, just one, can evoke so many memories that they can change your complete mood? Memories of childhood, past friends, past relationships, future plans. Even if it is memories of someone you no longer like, like an ex partner, the music somehow makes you remember the good times not the bad.
Worst thing for me is that the most important stages in my life were partnered with a CD or a song, so listening to the radio can send me into a frenzy.

Listening to Chris brown, sends me back into the days with my ex. Sitting in the back of my brothers car when we shared our first kiss, hours of phone calls and days out and lots of laughter. When listening to it my brain can't seem to remember the arguments, the lying and the nights of crying. I have no idea why this is, but i'm sure it is true for most of you. Most relationships I have had have been paired with a song, and each one sends me thinking. One song is all it takes.

I was made a mix CD by an old friend which I always played on the way to my holiday, it takes me back to sitting in the car with mum while we danced to odd songs that you would never connect to my mum. We danced and sung our way to the holiday every year, and it always seemed to be most prominent in my memories when we finally arrived in Porthmadog. Driving into the town, past the steam train, past the harbor  through all the shops filled with surfing equipment and welsh nick nacks. Window down, sun blaring against my face, even making my hand a dolphin through the window. Admit it! We have all done it at one point! It was just pure happiness. Every time I play those songs it makes me happy, and I sit enveloped in my own world.

Def Leppard, Fleetwood Mac and Meatloaf. Classics that I will not forget in a hurry. Why? Well it's because when I was growing up, my mum and dad only used to listen to music in the car, and that was all they would play. Every day trip out with them both, every car journey they used to play them none stop. Although my memory is not the strongest from when I was younger I always remember the days I used to sit in the backseat of the car, in my rugby fleece (my dad had a matching one), cuddled up with my teddy monkey called Sidney (Which I refuse to get rid of even at 18), listening to my mum and dad talk, laugh and smile at each other. These are precious memories to me as my dad passed away when  I was in my early teens. Every time I find myself missing him or even my mum (as she is in hospital and has been for a while) I stick on these songs and remember times of old.

Although it's great to remember all the good times, music tricks you. A song from an ex relationship will remind you of nothing but good times, and that warm fuzzy feeling you get from listening to it? Well it's a lie. In your head, you know that it is in an ex relationship for a good reason but your heart tells you otherwise. I mean, it's like music is making you think - so many good things happened! Why did you throw it away again? What did you do wrong? Maybe you should text them or something... Ignore it! It's a lie, and that warm fuzzy feeling you have? Well it will vanish the second you realize you have made the mistake of going back. The reason I wrote this, was due to a very good friend pondering. What went wrong? Was it his fault? To my lack of surprise he was listening to their song and over thinking. After a little while of trying to convince him, he finally turned off the song, and saw sense.

So everyone, I think it's time. Pick up your laptop, phone, Ipod, cheap knock off of anything I just said and look at your music list. Go to that song/album that you know only sends you into a meltdown, gets you thinking of them, that you save just in case and press delete. Go on, I'm waiting... Okay. I'm going to have to trust you on this one.

Music is there to bring you back memories or even make you look forward to the future, but lets stick to the positives! If you aren't looking back and smiling, then why are you doing it at all? That warm fuzzy feeling you get, won't last. Save it for something that will make it stick.


Me? Oh I deleted my album a while back. Too many mistakes to think of it again. It has, however been replaced with another. A more happier version and to be quite honest? The fuzzy feeling hasn't left me since.

Chann




No comments:

Post a Comment