Friday 8 March 2013

Oh you don't like bad boys? Riiiiight.

Bad boys. Every girl has been there, that lad with the muscles, mysterious, the one that has the unknown past, the one you hope you can change, but I was thinking. Why do we go for the one that we hope we can change when we can go for one that suits us perfectly just the way he is? The 'perfect' guy comes in many forms. The one that makes you laugh, the one that wows you with facts, the one who can predict everything you need and knows when you need them the most. To the girls though, it sounds perfect but we don't want it straight away, and all of it from that one person. We want that mysterious guy first to experience the unknown aspects that come from romance films and then we want to change their personality completely to get what we want. Why? It is still unknown to me why we do this, but I will hold my hands too and admit that I too do it. The amount of guys I have thought about 'changing' only to find out that it is either impossible or that when you do they just aren't the same person anymore.

On the other hand going straight for a 'nice boy' can have the same effect. I dated a lad for a little while, lets call him James (as not to name and shame). I really fell for his charm, meeting him at a friend's party, he stood swilling whiskey and talking to everyone about music. He was witty and funny and kind and well, he was the Mr Darcy of girls fantasies. We hit it off straight away and soon started meeting and dating. I was whisked away into the world of fantasy. He was perfect and I didn't need to change him in the slightest. After a while though I started to doubt it, it was too easy, and I opened my eyes as to what was going on. He was perfect, the real Mr Darcy. Though sadly not for me. Turns out I fell for what I thought was perfection, what every girl wants, but apparently I didn't want it. He was clever, witty, handsome and kind but as many good things he had I couldn't stop thinking that we weren't right. It killed me, my brain was going crazy. How could he not be right? He was everything people write about and I found him, and he actually wanted me! I couldn't even explain to him what it was that I felt, what was I supposed to say? You're too perfect?

Well it's fair to say it didn't last, and I ended things. It got me thinking though. Maybe there is no such thing as good guys and bad guys, and the reason that we fall for the 'bad ones' is that we like the adventure. We like the unknown but as soon as we try and make them 'perfect' it fails as we all want that storybook happiness, and lets be honest? What is the chances of finding a knight in shining armor in this day and age?

Guys these days have their own dreams and aspirations, they have their own style and opinions. I admire them, and some of them are even searching for their own perfect girl. Thing is, you wouldn't want them to try and change you into someone you're not. It's hard. One of my exes did that very thing, he tried to make me someone I wasn't, tried to change my appearance, my goals in life and my dreams and it hurt to think someone I felt so much for couldn't take me as I was. It took a while to get over the pressure of changing myself, and I chose me. I ended things so I could be myself. I know that if I didn't I wouldn't be happy with myself, and lets face it. Would you? So why change the guy you like into someone that's 'perfect', making them sacrifice their life to complete your dreams, when you wouldn't do it yourself?

So girls, stop trying to find the perfect guy! Stop going for one that is clearly not it and trying to change it! Go for the one that makes you laugh and you are happy with. Everyone has flaws, but if you are willing to put them aside to be happy? Then that sounds pretty perfect to me. As for me? I stopped looking a while ago, but I've ran into a prince charming of my own. Hey! A girl can dream right?

Chann

P.s If you're wondering about the picture of Bane? It is the most recent 'Bad guy' crush that me and my best friend Megan have had. Don't look at me like that! Have you heard his voice? Those arms...

2 comments: